Windrush Scheme: get a document showing your right to be in the UK

If you are settled in the UK but do not have a document to prove it, you may be eligible to apply to the ‘Windrush Scheme’.

You may be able to apply for a document to prove you can live and work in the UK if one of the following is true:

  • you came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • your parents came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • you came to the UK from any country before 31 December 1988 and are now settled here

It’s free to apply.

You might also be entitled to apply for citizenship for free if you’re a Commonwealth citizen who settled in the UK before 1 January 1973, or you’re the child of someone who did.

If you suffered losses because you did not have documents

If you are eligible for this scheme, you might also be able to apply for compensation. The compensation scheme is for losses that happened because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK. 

‘Losses’ can be things like not being able to work, find a place to live or get health treatment. They can also include immigration action, like detention or removal from the UK.


How We Can Help

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to human rights applicants as part of a professional and friendly service. We take your instructions, understand your requirements, collect all the necessary evidence, complete your application and submit it to the Home Office (UKVI) for consideration. You can contact us on 01202925737 or call us on mobile 07548856403 or email us at or by completing our contact form.