C - Student Dependant Visa

Partner and children of students

C - Student Dependant Visa

Your partner and children (‘dependants’) may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK.

You must be one of the following:

• a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer
• a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months
• a Doctorate Extension Scheme student

A dependant partner or child is one of the following:
• your husband, wife or civil partner
• your unmarried partner
• your child under 18 years old - including if they were born in the UK during your stay

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship when you apply, for example:
• a marriage or civil partnership certificate for your partner
• a birth certificate for your child

If your child is 16 or 17 on the date you apply you will need to prove they are not living an independent life, for example they’re not married or in a civil partnership.

You will need to prove:
• where they live - if they do not live with you, you’ll need to explain why
• any rent or upkeep they pay you each month
• that you support them financially if they do not live with you

If your child lives with you, you will need to provide 2 of the following documents confirming their address:
• a bank statement
• credit card bills
• driving licence
• NHS registration document
• an official letter from their university or college
• Money they need to support themselves
Your partner and child must each have a certain amount of money available to them. This is in addition to the money you must have to support yourself.

How much money they need depends on where you will be studying. They must have either:
• £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
• £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London

If you are applying at the same time as your partner or child (you are applying together as a family), you will need to prove you have both money to pay for your course and to support yourself and additional money for each of them.

If your partner or child is applying at a different time to you (they are applying separately) they only need to prove they have money to support themselves.

You (or your partner or child) must have this money for at least 28 consecutive days.

Contact us to discuss your immigration matter by calling us on +44(0)7548856403 or email us on office@arukvisa.co.uk or by completing our Contact Form. One of our advisers will be happy to assist you personally.