A - Spouse, Partner, Same-sex, Un-married Partner Visa
Family visas: apply, extend or switch
You need a family visa to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months.
You can apply for a family visa to live with your:
- Spouse, partner, same-sex, or un-married partner
- fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
- relative who will provide long-term care for you
Apply as a partner or spouse
To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.
Your partner must also either:
- be a British or Irish citizen
- have settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
- be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
- have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
- have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
- You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.
If you are visiting the UK for 6 months or less, check if you need a Standard Visitor visa or Marriage Visitor visa.
You must be able to prove one of the following:
- You are in a civil partnership or marriage that is recognised in the UK
- You have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
- you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving
You also need to prove you:
- have a good knowledge of English
- can financially support yourself and your dependants
Extending your family visa
- You can apply to extend your stay with your family member, if you are already in the UK on a family visa.
- You can extend at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.
You must live in the UK for a certain amount of time before you are eligible for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’). Before you extend your visa.
You might be able to apply to stay on the basis of your private life if you have lived in the UK for many years already.
Switching to a family visa
If you came to the UK on a different visa, you might be able to switch to a family visa to stay with your:
- spouse or partner
You can switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.
Contact us to discuss your immigration matter by calling us on +44(0)7548856403 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or by completing our Contact Form. One of our advisers will be happy to assist you personally.