10 years (long residence)

Indefinite leave to remain if you’ve been in the UK for 10 years (long residence)

10 years (long residence)

10 Year Long Residence

You may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain if you have been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as ‘long residence’).

Indefinite leave to remain is how you settle in the UK. It is also called ‘settlement’. It gives you the right to live, work and study here for as long as you like, and apply for benefits if you are eligible. You can use it to apply for British citizenship.

You must meet all the eligibility requirements.

You must have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’). This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration categories.

You must also have been in the UK legally for 10 years without gaps (known as your ‘continuous residence’).

Knowledge of language and life
If you’re aged 18 to 65 years old, you must:
• pass the Life in the UK Test
• prove you have sufficient English language skills

If you do not meet these 2 requirements you can apply to extend your leave to remain in the UK.

Continuous residence
Continuous residence is time you have spent in the UK without gaps.

You can leave the UK during the continuous residence for up to:
• 180 days at a time
• 540 days in total

You cannot count time spent in:
• a prison, young offender institution or secure hospital
• Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands

Contact us to discuss your immigration matter by calling us on +44(0)7548856403 or email us on office@arukvisa.co.uk or by completing our Contact Form. One of our advisers will be happy to assist you personally.