F - UK Ancestry visa
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you are one of the following:
- a Commonwealth citizen
- a British overseas citizen
- a British overseas territories citizen
- a British national (overseas)
- a citizen of Zimbabwe
You must also prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and meet the other eligibility requirements.
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
If you have lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa, you may be able to either:
- apply to extend your visa for a further 5 years
- apply to settle permanently in the UK (apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’)
You must prove that you:
- are 17 or over
- have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependants
- can and plan to work in the UK
Your ancestry - You must show that you have a grandparent born in one of the following circumstances:
- in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- before 31 March 1922 in what is now Ireland
- on a ship or aircraft that was either registered in the UK or belonged to the UK government
You can claim ancestry if:
- you or your parent were adopted
- your parents or grandparents were not married
You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents.
Contact us to discuss your immigration matter by calling us on +44(0)7548856403 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or by completing our Contact Form. One of our advisers will be happy to assist you personally.