top of page
  • Aisha Rasheed

Health and Care Worker Visa

Updated: Aug 6, 2023


‘Health and Care Visa’ has been introduced for qualified doctors, nurses and allied health professionals who have been trained to a recognised standard and have good knowledge of English language.

A Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.

This visa provides:

· Fast-track entry,

· Reduced visa fees,

· Dedicated support to the applicants and their family members to come to the UK, and

· Exemption from paying the NHS charge for the applicant and their family members


The Health and Care Visa is available to:

· Applicants applying under the Skilled Worker Route for Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain;

· Jobs specified in the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) codes;

· Applicant who be employed or engaged by

o NHS Trust

o The Care Quality Commission

o Health Education and Research

o Other NHS, Health and social care bodies

In addition to the job being in the list of eligible occupations, the applicant must work for an employer approved by the Home Office, must have a certificate of sponsorship issued by the employer, be paid a minimum salary and have a good knowledge of English language.

How long you can stay

Health and Care visa holders can stay in the UK for up to 5 years before they need to extend their visa. Applicants will need to extend or update their visa when it expires or if they change jobs or employer.

One can apply to extend Health and Care visa as many times as long as the applicant still meet the eligibility requirements.

After 5 years, H and C visa holders may be able to apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’). This gives them the right to live, work and study here for as long as they like.

How one can apply depends on whether applicants are:

outside the UK and are applying for entry clearance to come to the UK

· inside the UK - extending their current visa

· inside the UK - switching from a different visa

· If applicants want to change their job or employer, they must apply to update their visa.

Applicant’s partner and children can apply to join main applicant or stay in the UK as their ‘dependants’ if they are eligible.


Immigration and Visa Advice and Services –

Recent Posts

See All

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

Youth Mobility Scheme visa - You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa if you want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years

Graduate visa

Graduate visa - A Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page